We decided to do Christmas a little different around here in 2011. We were desiring A simpler Christmas and to try to make it more about the true meaning, Jesus Christ. It wasn't always easy, the consumerism seemed to be at an all time high. With the crazy sales starting on Thanksgiving day! Sheesh.
I realized that if we were going to cut back on the amount of stuff or kids got and only get them one or two good quality gifts (by this I mean not cheap junky plastic toys made in China,useless things etc..) I had to avoid the after thanksgiving sales at all costs. I have a hard time passing up good deals. As evidence by last years junky toys that ended up in the donation center.
So instead, we thought long and hard about what kind of things would last, be played with and hopefully still treasured by this same time next year. I ordered them online, and avoided impulse shopping. I stayed out of the stores as much as possible and we instead enjoyed holiday movies, and making Christmas memories.
On Christmas eve, after we had wrapped everything. I had a moment were I questioned, if we had done the right thing. In the morning the kids opened their gifts and were quite happy. They received lots of gifts from others as well. in the end I was relieved we had just got them a few things.
I'm glad that we are trying to teach our children to appreciate what they have. It's hard to do when they have so much. I hope we can continue to cut back the excess in our life both material and other. And focus on what really matters. We ran around way to much for the holidays and want to stay home more next Christmas. No more driving home from moms on Christmas eve at 12 am. We are looking forward to a more enjoyable, peaceful, simple Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment